At Lion Health Medical Practice we offer a repeat prescription service which enables patients to obtain repeat prescriptions, subject to the issuing doctor’s approval.
Patients on long-term medication can order repeat prescriptions in a number of ways:
- Online – Using our prescription requests triage
- Using our online services – Patient Access
- Requesting a repeat prescription through your local pharmacy order and collect service
- In person or by post
We require at least 72 hours notice for all repeat prescription requests. This enables us to generate your prescriptions safely.
Prescription requests can be dropped off at the collection point at the pedestrian gate to our premises.
Prescriptions will be available for collection after 14:00 on the allotted collection day.
If you wish for your prescription to be sent to you by post, then we request that you provide a stamped addressed envelope and allow five days for this to reach you.
Drop off in the prescription box or post
When you are issued a repeat prescription, the right hand side has a number of tick boxes next to the listed medications. You can tick the box for the items you require and drop this off in the prescriptions letterbox outside the surgery. This is checked regularly.
We appreciate that the phone lines can often be busy so a useful way of requesting repeat prescriptions is by using the internet. Our surgery utilises a system called EMIS access which allows individuals to safely and securely request medication. In order to gain access to this you will need to obtain login information from the surgery and you will be issued with a unique password.
Repeat prescriptions are issued 2 working days after receipt of a patient’s request to the practice, from their pharmacy, or online.
The practice will not refuse unreasonably an urgent prescription request where there is a clear medical need.
Urgent requests must be submitted in writing to reception by 14:00 latest.
All patients requesting an urgent prescription will be:
- Offered a copy of the practice’s urgent prescription request protocol
- Invited to subscribe to a reminder service using SMS text messages
- Patients will be given 72hrs worth of medication to allow routine prescription
request to be processed in the normal 72hrs
- All urgent prescriptions must be collected from reception at 18:00
- Reception closes at 18:30 after which no prescriptions will be issued
The practice may refuse an urgent prescription request for the following reasons:
- Any medication that can be obtained over-the-counter without prescription
- Patients with a long term or chronic condition who have gone past their scheduled
health review date. These requests require an appropriate review
- Patients who have not requested medication for a considerable time beyond the expected renewal date, with any request that is safe to be missed for a 72hrs period
- Any request that is considerably in advance of the expected renewal date without reasonable explanation
Please be aware if requesting an urgent prescription then it needs to be collected on the day requested. The prescription will be cancelled and destroyed if still waiting to be collected after 72 hours.
For those individuals who are housebound, our prescriptions department has a telephone line, where repeat medication can be requested. Please do not use this unless you are genuinely housebound or you will be asked to make your prescription request by another means.
Patients may ring 01384 460999 between 10:00 and 14:00, only to request prescriptions for patients whom are housebound.
Please see our frequently asked questions page if you have other queries regarding our prescription service.
View the cost of prescriptions on the NHS website.
You can also find out if you are entitled to free prescriptions.