Dental Problems

The most appropriate person for you to see if you have a dental problem is your dentist. If you are not registered with a dentist then you can obtain dental advice in an emergency by calling 111 who will triage and arrange an emergency dental appointment if felt necessary.

NHS choices website states:

“If you have a regular NHS dentist and need urgent treatment, contact your dentist for advice.

If you do not have a regular NHS dentist, you can contact NHS 111. They can give you details of out-of-hours dental services in your area.

NHS dental care is available in an emergency if it is clinically necessary, whether or not you have a regular dentist.

Emergency and out-of-hours NHS dental care will cost you £18.50. After this you may have to make another appointment for separate non-urgent treatment, where you will have to pay a second charge in the relevant treatment band.”

If you feel you have a dental infection then often having antibiotics is not the most appropriate treatment, a dentist is the best person to decide this for you.

By having antibiotics without a proper dental assessment you may delay the best care for your teeth.

We therefore ask that if you have a dental problem please follow the above rather than booking in to see your GP. You will be asked to make an appointment with a dentist about dental problems.